I have discovered organising an event like the KURINGGAI CHASE Walk and Run for Special Olympics Sydney Upper North Shore takes an enormous amount of support!! But how rewarding it is to be able to interact people people who encourage, inspire, support, volunteer, provide ideas and the financial support to dream big.
Taking this event from an idea to reality has required all this … the vision for this event was to:
- Increase awareness and membership of SOUNS
- Build and enhance partnerships in the community
- Raise funds for the programs activities
- Provide an opportunity for Special Olympics Athlete’s to actively demonstrate their love of sport, community and leadership
- Become a well-recognised, well-run and well-respected local community event for many years to come.
When we presented this to our major partners they took the time to understand, to care and to get involved in the cause knowing that it would make a difference.
The program costs over $300,000 to run – 2 sports coordinators, 88 coaches and 170 volunteers all run by a professional, volunteer committee – ALL funding is self-generated by the region. Administration represents less than 4% of our costs and represents the stationary, internet etc. required for our sport coordinators to work from their home offices. The program is all about the athlete’s!
So…. again Support Those That Support Us!